Cheryl was raised on a property on the outskirts of Canberra, Australia, and developed a love of nature and art at an early age. Over the years she has undertaken studies in drawing, oils, calligraphy and photography. In 2000 Cheryl discovered her passion; botanical watercolour painting.
Cheryl has completed numerous commissions and won several awards in recent years. Her works are held in private collections in Australia, UK, Switzerland, USA and Canada. Since 2005 she has exhibited in the renowned Botanica exhibition at the Royal Botanic Gardens in Sydney. She is a member of the Botanical Art Society of Australia (BASA), American Society of Botanical Artists (ASBA), Artists Society of Canberra (ASOC) and Friends of the Australian National Botanic Gardens.
Subject, style and media
Cheryl’s style of painting with watercolour has evolved over the years, and involves building up the colour in many layers of soft washes, creating an almost translucent effect. She intensifies the final painting with some darker washes and dry brush work. She particularly enjoys painting natives especially eucalypts, and has done many fruit studies.
Experience, awards and teaching
- 2005 Encouragement award for botanical art – Wildlife and Botanical Artists Society (ACT)
- 2006 Finalist in The Australian Artist magazine art challenge “Your Favourite Subject”
- 2006 Painting of Satsuma Plum selected as signature painting for Canberra Botanical exhibition
- 2006 2nd place “Still Life” section – Artists’ Society of Canberra members’ exhibition
- 2006 3rd place “Still Life” section – Artists’ Society of Canberra members’ exhibition
- 2006 Highly Commended “Transparent Watercolour” section – Artists’ Society of Canberra members’ exhibition
- 2007 First Prize, Fruit and Vegetable section, Botanical Art Society of Australia's 7th annual members' exhibition
- 2007 Highly Commended, Fruit and Vegetable section, Botanical Art Society of Australia's 7th annual members' exhibition
- 2007 Dr Helen Hewson Traditional Botanical Art Award, Wildlife and Botanical Artists Inc Annual Exhibition and Art Prize
- 2008 2nd place “Still Life” section, Artists’ Society of Canberra members’ exhibition
- 2009 1st place “Pushing the Boundaries” section, Botanical Art Society of Australia member’s exhibition
- 2009 Painting of Sarracenia sp. used as signature painting for Canberra Botanical 2009 exhibition
- 2009 2nd place “Watercolour” section, Rotary Club of Queanbeyan and Art Society of Queanbeyan Outdoor Art Show
- 2010 Highly Commended “Watercolour & Gouache” section, Artists’ Society of Canberra members’ exhibition
- 2011 “Best Still Life” – Artists’ Society of Canberra members’ exhibition